Friday, November 17, 2006

About Joshua




I am Joshua Wong from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I am a Malaysia Chinese and have live here all my life. I graduated from Hong Kong Baptist University in Journalism.

It is a challenging task to be a journalist in Malaysia where the media is heavily-controlled by the state or political parties through direct ownership or censorship.

Nevertheless, 13 years in the field as a journalist in both print and broadcast media, I still believe that the media is a watchdog in strengthening democracy and contributing to public awareness.

I feel that press freedom is not “free” in nature. It will not be given by authorities, unless civil society, and most importantly journalists fight for it. Therefore, it is imperative for journalists to improve their journalistic courage, skill, practice and remain independence through training, advocacy and practical experience.

I have been a part-time lecturer since 2003 in two local colleges – New Era College and Han Xian College. In my experience, I uphold the belief that education is an agent for change, which is why I am pursuing the Master of Arts in Journalism online course in Ateneo de Manila University.

Currently, I am a producer of investigative reporting program in Mandarin in ntv7, a local commercial TV network. It is a half hour weekly program which reports on a wide range of current issue including government policy, social, environmental issues. I also produce documentaries promoting human rights and equality. These issues are generally sidelined or ignored by the mainstream media.

In Malaysia, investigative journalism has been absent from journalism course in Universities and colleges. I have a team of three broadcast journalists. We are lacking of knowledge in dealing with media ethics and how to make use of internet to enrich our reporting.

Through this course—Convergence Journalism, I am optimistic that I will be better prepared to advance my long-term professional career in the field of mass communication. I expect to upgrade myself –applying multi-media skills in my future reporting.

No comments: